Saturday, March 28, 2015

am I liable to pay for repairs my co-owner made without consulting me, over a period of six years?

Question

am I liable to pay for repairs my co-owner made without consulting me, over a period of six years?



Answer

Generally not directly, but your interest in the property may be subject to some or all of those charges when you sell, particularly if the sale is "hostile" through a partition action. You are not entitled to a free ride on genuinely necessary repairs just because you weren't consulted, but you are not responsible for unnecessary work, and possibly may be entitled to reduce the charges if you can prove they were more expensive than appropriate at the time. If you went to court over it a judge would make a determination of the reasonable amount you're interest in the property benefited from the work balanced against the cost of the work and then charge your share of sale proceeds that in favor of your co-owner.



No comments:

Post a Comment