Monday, June 23, 2014

Can my Manager hold me after my designated time to leave work to finish what ever needs to be finished? I work at Sams Club and my General m...

Question

Can my Manager hold me after my designated time to leave work to finish what ever needs to be finished? I work at Sams Club and my General manager has started punishing associates for leaving when they are scheduled to leave and is labeling it a "Job Performance" issue. I live in Kentucky and was wondering if it is a State law issue, or possible a federal. I know Wal-mart's policy states an associate "coached" for leaving when they are designated to will be forgiven. It isn't a coachable offence to Wal-mart, what about Sam's club, which is also a Wal-mart inc. store.



Answer

Unfortunately, Kentucky is an "at will" employment state which means either party (employee or employer) may terminate the working agreement "at will." Unless you have a contract with Sams Club indicating you only work during scheduled hours or you are being discriminated somehow based on a "protected class" in which you are a member; such as race, religion, political affiliation, age, sex, or one of the other distinct protected classes.

As far as the policy portion of your question, I am unfamiliar with Sam's Club employment policies. If you would like to provide a portion of the policy for my review then I may be able to help further in that regard.

I hope this answer has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,



No comments:

Post a Comment