Saturday, May 24, 2014

Can I still be drug tested from my employer for a workers compensation case if I was injured almost 1 month ago and they have not even menti...

Question

Can I still be drug tested from my employer for a workers compensation case if I was injured almost 1 month ago and they have not even mentioned it or have a reasonable suspicion?



Answer

Labor Code 132(a) says an employer cannot treat a staffer differently solely because s/he requested workers compensation benefits.

Therefore, if the demand for drug testing says IN WRITING that this is solely because you requested Workers Compensation benefits, then no, that's a misdemeanor crime.

Sadly, if the employer puts nothing in writing and tests a handful of employees from time-to-time, then you are just being drug tested and YES THE EMPLOYER MAY DRUG TEST employees. There is no 'reasonable suspicion' requirement, the employer is not the police.



No comments:

Post a Comment