Tuesday, June 3, 2014

i was in a car accident in Wisconsin, lawyer said i cant receive payment on my behalf because of being on disability. car was being financed...

Question

i was in a car accident in Wisconsin, lawyer said i cant receive payment on my behalf because of being on disability. car was being financed, car was said to be totaled. insurance company will pa off car but what about me having a car.



Answer

If you are receiving SSI disability income, receiving any significant settlement might disqualify you and end your future payments, causing you far greater problems that the settlement is worth. Collision insurance is required to pay off liens on a car first, so you would only receive what is left, if anything. Even owning a car could disqualify you, depending upon the value of a car, so you need to check the exemption rules with your lawyer before you make any decisions.Please do not assume that I am your attorney because of my response here. Call my office in Racine (262-633-3090 or email [email protected]/* */) for clarifications, but short of such additional arrangements, I will not be taking any action on your case. See me on the web at www.jayknixonlaw.com, or view over fifteen years of my past answers at http://www./answers/search/attorney/jknixon, as well as past AVVO answers at http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/53401-wi-jay-nixon-1529181/answers.html?sort=recency. Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.



No comments:

Post a Comment