Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I have an interview next week, if I'm offered the job the employer is asking that I submit official transcripts. I owe UCLA about $8000 and ...

Question

I have an interview next week, if I'm offered the job the employer is asking that I submit official transcripts. I owe UCLA about $8000 and they won't release my transcripts. Is it legal for them to withhold transcripts if I need them for a new job?



Answer

Yup.



Answer

They can withhold "official" transcripts for non-payment. However, under FERPA, they are required to provide you with an unofficial transcript. Your transcript is also a "student record" which must be produced under California state law. If your employer wants an official transcript, you won't be able to produce one until you pay the $8000. On the other hand, most employers don't require an official transcript. If you were applying to grad school or professional school, another university would require an official transcript.



No comments:

Post a Comment