Sunday, January 25, 2015

HOA Coverage,I rent my condo out to a tenant who came home to a flooded kitchen after leaving for the holidays. The plumber notified us the ...

Question

HOA Coverage,

I rent my condo out to a tenant who came home to a flooded kitchen after leaving for the holidays. The plumber notified us the kitchen sink was leaking because of a clogged pipe shared by multiple units (not the tenants fault). He then informed me the HOA will pay for the plumber but not for damages. Shouldn't the HOA have to pay or reimburse me for damages?



Answer

The HOA laws have just changed as of Jan 1, 2014. Under the new/revised laws, HOA's are responsible for damage to common areas, such as the common drain pipe, but the individual owners are responsible for damage to their units caused by common area problems.

Submit the claim to your own insurer.



No comments:

Post a Comment