Wednesday, April 1, 2015

I live in the state of Minnesota and I wanted to know if I have to pay child support for my boyfriend children if we get married

Question

I live in the state of Minnesota and I wanted to know if I have to pay child support for my boyfriend children if we get married



Answer

Generally, child support is paid by one parent or the other for her/his child or children. Generally, a 'new' spouse is not liable to pay child support for her/his spouse's children from some other relationship. Your financial circumstances, in some instances, may have a bearing on your spouse's financial obligations. I suggest you confer with an attorney prior to your marriage to discuss your concerns and the possibility of a 'pre-nuptial agreement' (also known as an antenuptial contract) which may offer protections. Tricia Dwyer Esq at 612-296-9666, Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC, Minnesota Divorce Law, Minnesota Matrimonial Law, Minnesota Antenuptial Contracts Law, http://dwyerlawfirm.net



Answer

Your income is not includable in determining your spouse's child support.



Answer

No. Some states impose child support liability on stepparents when they stand "in loco parentis" to the child. Minnesota is not one of those states. In Minnesota, a stepparent may be held liable for child support only if he or she adopts the children.



No comments:

Post a Comment