Friday, April 24, 2015

This question is regarding Real Estate (Tenant Landlord Law) in Florida. Someone told me that if I decide to buy my own house I can break my...

Question

This question is regarding Real Estate (Tenant Landlord Law) in Florida. Someone told me that if I decide to buy my own house I can break my rental agreement with no penalty. Is this true?

The Early Termination Fee Addendum specifies that "I agree, as provided in the rental agreement to pay $xxxxx (an amount that does not exceed two months' rent) as liquidated damages or as early termination fee if I elect to terminate the rental agreement and the landlord waives the right to seek additional rent beyond the month in which the landlord retakes possession".

We only have 3 more months on the contract and we've put an offer on a house that was accepted. We've given the notice, and were wondering if that is any way out of the early termination fee.

Thank in advance.



Answer

Your entire lease agreement needs to be reviewed. There is no statute that allows for early termination to buy a home. Your lease agreement controls the early termination. From the language quoted it appears you are responsible for a payment for early termination.



Answer

Of course, you can ask that be a condition of the sale.



No comments:

Post a Comment