Saturday, February 1, 2014

I was married in Houston, Texas in December 2013. The wedding officiant did not submit the marriage license to the Orange TX County Clerk to...

Question

I was married in Houston, Texas in December 2013. The wedding officiant did not submit the marriage license to the Orange TX County Clerk to be recorded. The officiant did not respond to calls, voice mail, or email. After 30 days, in January 2014 I was remarried in a different county in Texas by a justice of the peace to make my marriage legal.

My question is if I will be successful in suing the officiant in small claims court for the amount of increased 2013 tax liability($2000) and for the cost of the justice of the peace wedding ($100). Would I file lawsuit in Houston where I was married by the officiant or Orange, TX where the marriage license was issued and recorded?



Answer

Don't sue anybody. You got married in December. Forget about the license.

File your taxes for 2013 as "married." The IRS isn't going to ask to see a license.



No comments:

Post a Comment