Saturday, March 8, 2014

I had to move out of state to get away from my abusive husband. I can't afford to file for divorce, and I'm out of state right now so I can'...

Question

I had to move out of state to get away from my abusive husband. I can't afford to file for divorce, and I'm out of state right now so I can't go back to file. My husband is opening a new credit card account and adding his new girlfriend to this account as an authorized user. What do I do, so I am not held liable for the charges? I've already put an ad in the local paper saying I'm not responsible for debts other than my own.



Answer

You need to talk to a family law attorney in the new place where you have moved to find out when you can file for divorce - many times it is a 6 month waiting period.

The ad in the newspaper does not really do anything so I would not spend the money again.

You did not sign the credit card application so you "technically" cannot be held liable for anything on that card.

You need to document everything going on. Keep emails, text messages, & all paperwork regarding what is going on.

Look on this website & on www.avvo.com for an attorney to help you.

Good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment